- A church in Ephesus
- All people are by nature spiritually dead, transgressors of God's law, and under the rule of Satan.
- God predestined his elect to redemption and holiness in Christ according to the free counsel of his will.
- God's rich mercy in Christ has saved sinners; this free gift is by grace through faith alone.
- Christ's earthly work of redemption was part of his cosmic reconciliation and exaltation in this age and the next.
- Christ's reconciliation entails uniting all people, whether Jew or Gentile, into his one body, the church, as a new creation.
- Christ's people are renewed to new lives of holiness in thought, word and deed and must reject their old, sinful lifestyles.
- Holiness of life entails submission to proper authorities, and loving and considerate care for those in submission.
- Christ has given powerful gifts to his church to bring about her unity, maturity, and defense against the onslaughts of the devil and his allies.
**Taken from the Crossway ESV Study Bible