- Christians living in small city of Colossae
- Jesus Christ is preeminent over all creation, Lord over all human rulers and cosmic powers.
- God has worked through Christ to secure redemption and reconciliation for all who put their faith in him.
- Believers are in Christ and thus participate in a relationship of solidarity with Christ in his death on the cross, his resurrection from the dead, his new life, and his fullness.
- Christ has defeated the pwers of darkness on the cross, and Christians share in his power and authority over that realm.
- Jesus is the fulfillment of Jewish expectation, and Christians now share in the heritage of the old covenant people of God through their union with him.
- Believers are called to grow in maturity in Christ by getting rid of sinful practices and cultivating Christian virtues.